I'm an author! (well, self-published)

My book - Out of the Game

Out of the Game

This project was daunting and exciting all at the same time. When we were first instructed to think of a topic we wanted to write about, I was at a loss. I wanted the topic to be something personal and meaningful so I would be able to put some passion behind it. Then the idea of writing about my leg injury came to mind. I’ve always wanted to write about it as a means of catharsis and have started drafts here and there, but never had a driving force to ever finish anything. Well, here was my driving force.

I began with some research of other sports based books, books written by professional athletes and biographies of athletes. They all seemed very male oriented, either by topic and/or design. I wanted my book to still have a feminine feel to it. While I do like to participate in outdoor and sporting events, I am still very girlie by nature. I wanted my book to reflect that aspect of my personality. But I was at a loss as to how to combine the athletic aspect of the content with a still feminine feel of the design. So, I researched baseball in the 1940s and wartime. This was a period in history where because many men were serving in war, women took the place in several professional baseball leagues. Once I had this inspiration in mind, the marriage between femininity and sports was seamless.

In addition to the feminine feel of the book, I wanted to display a rugged, dusty, outdoorsy feel as well. That is what I often think of when I think of softball or baseball. I wanted all the images to have a rustic and somewhat antique feel to them, so I explored with duotones and different hues to coordinate with my color palette. I had never used duotones before this project, so it was exciting to explore this new (to me at least) treatment.

This project had a large focus of file set up and practices. In addition to the creative process, we were also being graded on our file. We spent much time learning the ins and outs of paragraph, character, table and cell styles. I can honestly say paragraph styles saved me on this project. Because of some pdf formatting issues, I had to choose an alternative typeface for my entire book at the last minute (it was the main header typeface). Because I set up proper character styles, this was not an extremely large task. I also made sure to get my book to the printer two days before our actual due date to leave me some time in case any major catastrophes happened. Because Murphy’s Law is anything crazy that can happen, will happen. And they did with my project. I was all worth it to finally have my pdf accepted and book ordered. I’ve never been more proud of an order confirmation than this book.

Book printed with Blurb

Title page

an inside spread

full image spread

Advertisements
Tagged , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: